Saturday, September 20, 2008

Porridge morning

It was a good morning for porridge today, with the leaves starting to turn and a crispy feel to air, but our box of Red River Cereal was cobwebby and showing the telltale signs of invasion by little hungry six-legged things. I'd kept meaning to get around to dumping it in a mason jar, but somehow it was one of those things that never got done. So the last couple of cups (and any yummy grub-like things therewithin) went out for the chickens to eat. And I was left wondering what to cook up for breakfast. For whatever reason oatmeal porridge is not thought very highly of here, so that was out.

When I looked at the ingredients on the Red River Cereal box, though, I suddenly realized what anyone else with a Family Grainmill probably would have figured out at the outset ... I can make this stuff! So I threw in a cup of hard red wheat, half a cup of rye grains and another half cup of spelt. I cracked them in the mill. Then I ground a couple of tablespoons of flax seed, and tossed a couple more tablespoons of whole flax seed in.

It cooked up beautifully, just like the packaged stuff, but fresher-tasting. With a teaspoon of brown sugar and a drizzle of milk, it was a perfect fall breakfast. I can't believe I never thought to grind my own porridge meal before.

3 comments:

  1. Mmm, comfort food!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous1:11 am

    Don't you just hate it though if you are all set to cook something and then find out that you can't because those moths have gotten into something AGAIN?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7:12 am

    Thanks for sharing the "recipe"! I don't know why I never think to look up these kinds of things to just make "from scratch", either, despite knowing that home-cooked/assembled foods invariably taste better (and aren't that hard to make!)

    ReplyDelete

This blog is moving to archive-only status. Please consider posting comments instead at the active version of the blog at nurturedbylove.ca/blog

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.