Monday, April 28, 2008

Morning roast

It's quite enjoyable these days, roasting a pan of coffee. I need to do this outside, due to the smoke it gives off. Now the mornings are warm enough that I don't need mittens and a hat, just a warm jacket. There's something about standing outside our forest-nestled house idly stirring a couple of pans of beans for twenty or thirty minutes, long before the rest of the household is up, that makes for a lovely beginning to a day. The songbirds are back and I can pick out the sound of Oregon juncos, robins, varied thrush and the metallic harshness of the Stellar's jays. The chickens are up and clucking about. Sometimes there are deer nearby.

Now we have enough roast beans for week or two. The next roasting will probably not even require a winter jacket. I predict warmer temperatures and the trees beginning to leaf out. Chuck took the snowplow blade off the lawn tractor today. Have we turned the corner for good now? Let's hope.

3 comments:

  1. Mmmm...Sounds wonderful! I can almost 'see' this scene all the way over here on the other side of the country.

    And yes, let's hope we have turned the corner for good now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds lovely... I am also hearing the birds when I greet the morning sun with my stretching outside, even heard an owl this morning! And I can smell the beans all they way down here :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:52 pm

    I've visited your blog several times, and just wanted to decloak and say thanks. We are researching less traditional educational options for our children. Your blog has provided us with insight into unschooling and you've inspired my husband who has looooooong wanted to try roasting coffee beans.

    ReplyDelete

This blog is moving to archive-only status. Please consider posting comments instead at the active version of the blog at nurturedbylove.ca/blog

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.