Sunday, February 10, 2008

Thrifty frogging

Sophie, Fiona and I frogged a thrift-store sweater yesterday. There were moth-holes in it, but it was lovely soft fingering-weight lambswool, so we deemed it well worthwhile. We picked seams, untangled selvages, did the rip-it, rip-it thing that gives frogging its name, wound the reclaimed yarn and weighed it. It was a great activity for a quiet Saturday with mushy snow outside and head-colds inside. We ended up with 135 grams of wool that we'll do something nice with.

6 comments:

  1. What a good idea!! We shop at thrift stores all the time and have reclaimed buttons or used larger fabric to sew a smaller item, but we'd never thought of this!

    Of course, it would probably help if I learned to knit properly first :-/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4:58 pm

    Wow. I've never thought of doing that. What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous5:46 am

    I didn't know it was possible to do that! Neat!

    PS I finally started a blog: http://travelshifts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of the many reasons I need to find a good thrift store nearby! I can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been trying to find a sweater to do this with...

    What did the seams look like inside? Was it easy to determine that they weren't just cut and then sewn?

    Great find.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Laura, to my uneducated eye it wasn't easy to tell. I took a look with a hand-held magnifier (this was at home -- I don't carry magnifiers with me when I go to thrift stores as a rule) and couldn't see any obvious cut ends. So we picked apart a bit of a seam and tried a bit ...

    ReplyDelete

This blog is moving to archive-only status. Please consider posting comments instead at the active version of the blog at nurturedbylove.ca/blog

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.