Monday, June 16, 2008

Imaginary deck

About a year ago we wrecked our deck. It was rotting and a danger. We needed any salvageable lumber to save the chickens from the bears. And it was ugly, badly positioned and too small. I also figured that wrecking it might facilitate the appearance of its replacement. Alas this was not the case, at least not so far. Our house remains deckless:


Blech, don't you think? This photo was taken at about 4:30 pm, and here you see the stupidity of the previous deck, which sat upon the mound of gravel on the right. While it gets no sun in the morning, that area is an exposed oven all through the afternoon, right up until supper time. And by contrast the area to the left gets warm morning sun and lovely afternoon shade.

Today, with the taxes done and the reward of a clear day, one of the things I got busy on was deck-pondering. I'd had a year to allow ideas to float by, to notice things about the empty space and the shape of the house, and the view and the grade. But serious thought started today. I sat down with a pencil and graph paper and recalled Pythagorus. I went outside and paced a few dimensions out. I came back in. I drew some more. I took some photos. I measured, staked, flagged, pulled things up, re-staked, measured dining space for six or eight, re-staked.

I had a general idea of what I was looking for and eventually it came together in about the right proportions. I staked it out to make a walk-through in front of the house, and then I had freehand fun with PaintShopPro. I now have an imaginary deck, which is a good sight better than no deck at all. You can all imagine with me ....

before....


After!

After what, though? After when? Who knows........

9 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:19 am

    I don't think we recognise the concept of 'lovely afternoon shade' in Scotland...

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:19 am

    Hi Miranda,
    I really enjoy your blog- I found it when you mentioned it in the TP forums ages ago, and have added it to my list of favorites. I told you once on TP that I was a fan of yours, LOL. Anyway, I really hope you don't mind, but I posted a link to this blog in another forum I frequent called 'The Simple Living Network'. There was a lady there from BC who has kids and enjoys simple living, but was feeling a bit alienated. She was interested in reading about other families like hers in rural BC. I thought that she might enjoy your blog, so I recommended it to her. The thread can be found here:

    http://www.simpleliving.net/discussionforums/topic.asp?whichpage=0.733333333333333&TOPIC_ID=54015&#710385

    I meant it as a compliment, but if you'd like it removed I will do it ASAP. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to have a deck like that - I can picture being in a chair out there, sipping a tall frosty glass of lemonade... mmmmm....

    ReplyDelete
  4. What fun, now if only you could make it really be built in just an afternoon. I can also imagine something lovely growing up that trellis - perhaps some grapes or a hardy kiwi. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG! LMAO! I too am deckless, but unlike you I have NEVER had one! I am so going to check out PaintShopPro and dream right along with you :o)

    Crystal

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks good to me!

    ReplyDelete

This blog is moving to archive-only status. Please consider posting comments instead at the active version of the blog at nurturedbylove.ca/blog

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.