Sunday, October 16, 2011

Brioche knitting

Simple two-colour brioche (top) and Hosta leaf pattern (bottom)
I had never heard of brioche knitting, but the first couple of examples I saw looked so nifty that I had to figure it out. I started trying to learn while beginning a very simple project while Fiona and I were away at Fort Steele. I ended up starting over again three times due to various messes. Any slipped or backwards stitches are very obvious due to the colour contrast. The lovely lines of alternating colour, yin and yang on front and back, get broken up by just a single wrong stitch.

Finally it started to click. Once I was feeling really secure, no longer needing to refer to any instructions or illustrations, motoring along without even thinking, I cast on the project that had originally drawn me to this type of knitting, the Hosta scarf pattern. It takes forever. The stitches are fairly small and each row must be knit twice, once with each colour. Every other pair of rows is riddled with four meandering triple decreases and four triple increases. But I love it. It's one of my favourite patterns ever.

2 comments:

  1. susanna eve11:11 am

    that's gorgeous:) i like brioche stitch, discovered it for this pattern:
    http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/fourteen

    ReplyDelete
  2. A marvellous peace of art your scarf. I just started to find out the secrets of brioche stiches and it's really difficult to get those edges right. As for your pattern I believe I will have to wait for an other year before I'll have the curage to try :)

    ReplyDelete

This blog is moving to archive-only status. Please consider posting comments instead at the active version of the blog at nurturedbylove.ca/blog

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.