Tuesday, May 24, 2011

New shoes


Fiona had outgrown all her shoes from last year and for some reason those in the hand-me-down box were mostly too big. And of course my sensibilities about footwear have changed in recent years. The clunky high-support traditional running shoes I put my big kids in when they were Fiona's age no longer seem like the best option.

Last weekend Fiona came and ran a 5k race with me. She did phenomenally well, and she ran with the unadulterated great form of a mostly-barefoot kid, even in the clunky shoes she had to don for the event. I sure don't want her losing that form, or her enthusiasm for running.

In light of her need for new shoes, her nice natural form and her interest in running, a couple of weeks ago I took the plunge and dropped a lot of money on shoes untried and unseen, but which seemed from my research to be the best of the very slim pickings in kids' minimalist shoes.

These Vivo Barefoot Aquariuses from Terra Plana arrived this morning. They are very impressive, exactly what I wanted for her. They fit nicely, feel comfortable on the inside, have thin, zero-drop soles with grippy treads and a puncture-resistant membrane. And they're wonderfully flexible, very much like the little siblings to my New Balance Minimuses.

We're going to squeeze in an inaugural run together this afternoon.

6 comments:

  1. Those shoes look really nice! How did you find they fit? True to size? It makes me nervous ordering things without trying them on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Based on my best guess they seem true to size, or perhaps a smidge small for size. I'd say round up when converting from US to European sizing to order VivoKids. When in doubt, order the next size up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. malva8:05 am

    Did you order them from somewhere in Canada or from their website (in the UK I think?)?

    I've been thinking about getting their maryjane style shoe for work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. From the New York division, which was the section of the website my IP address sent me to. They were speedy and efficient. They had to call to clarify my mailing address and I could hear cheerful people laughing and talking in the office in the background. Small but friendly operation, I think. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Miranda, the shoes do look and sound nice!

    I found your blog through MDC some years ago and have really enjoyed it. I've been a lurker so this is my first comment, but I'm working on being more grateful in my life so I just wanted to let you know how I have learned much from reading and I appreciate it! Thank you so much.

    Lurker no more,

    Katie

    ReplyDelete

This blog is moving to archive-only status. Please consider posting comments instead at the active version of the blog at nurturedbylove.ca/blog

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.