Thursday, June 17, 2010

A good enough reason to homeschool?

In an on-line discussion a mom mentioned something about her child and then asked "is this a good enough reason to homeschool?" I replied...

It sounds like you're thinking to yourself "Generally kids should go to school, so I need to have a good reason not to send them there." I question the first premise. To me school isn't a default that a parent needs to come up with excuses to opt out of. Instead my default is home. I know my kids can thrive in an individualized learning environment staffed by people who know them inside and out and love them with all their hearts. I watched them thrive as little tykes. As they got close to "school age" I thought to myself "Kids should get an interesting, enjoyable, humane, meaningful and relevant education. Do mine need to go to school to get that?"

My answer was obviously no. Maybe yours is no too. I think that's good enough.

3 comments:

  1. I love the way you think and put those thoughts into words that will truly make others think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that is good :) My first thought after I read the first sentence was 'is there really a good enough reason to actually send them to school?!' *grin*.

    Hi :) I just happened to stumble across your blog and have been enjoying your posts. We're in BC to on Vancouver island and homeschool. It's always fun to run into fellow homeschoolers that are actually not to far away :) Have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mine aren't even technically school age yet, but when people ask about kindergarten and I tell them we're not going that route, there's often an attitute of, what's wrong with your kids that they won't fit into school?

    ReplyDelete

This blog is moving to archive-only status. Please consider posting comments instead at the active version of the blog at nurturedbylove.ca/blog

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.