Monday, June 11, 2007

Patience and progress

My children have taught me patience by rewarding it. Not the sort of patience that sits and chews its nails, willing itself not to say or do anything, expecting a sign any day now, controlling its frustration. The sort of patience that knows important things are going on, whether they're visible or not, and is able to hum a tune and weed the garden and enjoy a good book in the meantime.

I find that as time goes on my definition of 'progress' becomes broader and more multi-dimensional, my powers of observation become keener, and I am able to see progress all the time. Not that I never have moments of worry and frustration. But not over academic progress, not very often, anyway. It seems to have got easier as the passing years' sunshine and rain have rinsed and bleached the schoolishness out of my system.

2 comments:

  1. Kudos to you! Must be an amazing feeling and way to live.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:39 am

    ..."I am able to see progress all the time. Not that I never have moments of worry and frustration. But not over academic progress, not very often, anyway. It seems to have got easier as the passing years' sunshine and rain have rinsed and bleached the schoolishness out of my system".

    I LOVE that last line! YES to UNSCHOOLING!

    All the best to you and your's...

    ReplyDelete

This blog is moving to archive-only status. Please consider posting comments instead at the active version of the blog at nurturedbylove.ca/blog

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.